I don’t want this to turn into some giant argument but just hear me out.
Everyone raves about GPL, the community, giving back, blah blah. This kind of stuff generally drives me a bit mad but whatever, drop in the ocean stuff.
WordPress 3.0 features a brand new way to organize your navigation….
Some facts need to be corrected here:
- Did WooThemes contribute code and concept to WP3.0 custom menus? Yes.
- Did they get credit for it? Yes.
- Did they get a large amount of publicity around the interwebs for this? Yes.
On the flipside:
- Was 90% of the code rewritten by not WooThemes? Yes.
- Was the UI changed to be completely different from the Woo concept? Yes.
- Were the original hooks left in for Woo to harness this functionality however they want to as originally agreed? Yes.
- There were (if memory serves) just under 200 other contributors to 3.0 (myself included), why should Woo get any more credit than anyone else?
- The biggest part of 3.0 is the WPMU merge, but have you heard the founders of WPMU mentioned by name even once? No one is getting singled out here.
- Technically speaking, they should get no credit at all. In the same way that technically speaking you don’t have to give WordPress any credit if you build a site with it.
In summary… I don’t think there’s any BS here, per the original post.